November 29, 2015

Go fund other people's petty indulgences

Taking its cues from micro-financing for third world countries, Go Fund Me probably started with no particular intentions - other than making money in the usual manner for the owners - and quickly became a repository for first world petty wants and indulgences, wrapped up as need.  It's like begging, only from the safety of your couch. 
A quick survey of sites shows that many people seem as interested in being the next guest on Ellen DeGeneres as in getting funds. (Meeting Ellen DeGeneres is a surprisingly common request on GoFundMe.)

Here’s the question I can’t stop asking myself: Has social media made our craving for attention and validation overwhelm all other considerations? There is nothing new about asking your friends for help (remember rent parties?), but that help was confined to a small group of people you actually knew.

Now, no such boundaries exist. Your 4,000 Facebook friends should know if you can’t pay for your rent — or your plastic surgery. And who knows? They may just pay up.

There was a time when there were needs, and there were wants, and we knew the difference. Now? Now I’m not so sure.
Go Fund Me Gone Wild

6 comments:

  1. "There was a time when there were needs, and there were wants, and we knew the difference. Now? Now I’m not so sure"

    Very true... Sadly. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:19 PM

    I desperately need some cash - for a brand new potomac, 27,000 bottles of scotch, 37,150,027 bottles of the best plonk, so that I can give a really hot chic with the initials of KF the bestest time in all the universes. This has got nothing to do with needs and wants, rather the perfect obsession.

    Click DONATE now if you believe in pure passion.

    j





    ReplyDelete
  3. And to think I wasted my money donating to World Vision. Jeez I'm kicking myself, Justin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah Justin..The potomac.. swoons..
    Those were the days..
    Party all night.. Consuming copious amounts of scotch in the back of teh potomac..And what a bar!!!!..��
    ps. Did I ever tell you that I thought that your legs were hot?
    I'm a legs lady.��
    A passion and an obsession.



    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:12 PM

    Indeed, those were the days Kath darlin - the most wonderful girlfriend I've never met. We did have lots of fun didn't we. You were something special, you'll always be something special.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX92FJ-lwXI

    Love to you dear Kath and best wishes to those dear.

    Have a fantastic xmas and an absolutely fucking paraletic new year.


    j

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love to you, your wife and family Justin. Hope you all have a wonderful xmas..
    Yes, we did have some fun, eh? sighs..
    Cin Cin my dear friend. <3

    ReplyDelete