February 20, 2013

Wednesday Wisdom

 When you win, you don't examine it very much, except to congratulate yourself. You easily, and wrongly, assume it has something to do with your rare qualities as a person. But winning only measures how hard you've worked and how physically talented you are; it doesn't particularly define you beyond those characteristics.

Athletes don’t have much use for poking around in their childhoods, because, introspection doesn’t get you anywhere in a race.
 
I asked myself what I believed. I had never prayed a lot. I hoped hard, wished hard, but I didn't pray. I had developed a certain distrust of organised religion growing up, but I felt I had the capacity to be a spiritual person, and to hold some fervent beliefs. Quite simply, I believed I had a responsibility to be a good person, and that meant fair, honest, hardworking and honorable. If I did that, if I was good to my family, true to my friends, if I gave back to my community or to some cause, if I wasn't a liar, a cheat, or a thief, then I believed that should be enough. At the end of the day, if there was indeed some Body or presence standing there to judge me, I hoped I would be judged on whether I had lived a true life, not on whether I believed in a certain book, or whether I'd been baptised.

This is my body, and I can do whatever I want to it. I can push it; Study it; Tweak it; Listen to it. Everybody wants to know what I am on. What am I on? I am on my bike busting my ass six hours a day; What are YOU on?
 
The riskiest thing you can do is get greedy.

Lance Armstrong

4 comments:

  1. So, your point being you don't like watching a bunch of naked women cycling?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:56 PM

    Correct - it's rather not attractive at all.

    But on the other hand a naked women swimming is quite acceptable, sensual and natural. A saddle shoved up a chicks backside just doesn't do a thing for me - not sure about the saddle butttt.

    j

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can appreciate that.

    Certainly unhygienic if one was using a shared bicycle.

    ReplyDelete