July 17, 2007

Let’s Go!

After two years of development and with a $200 K budget, the Sydney city council is introducing the “Go Bag” concept to local residents.

The “Go Bag” is obviously intended for our Sydney friends to “go” - not very far – in the event of an insignificant and momentary disaster.

Many workers carry 10 times as much as this to get them though the arduous demands of the working day. (Our trains aren’t full of people; they’re full of ginormous backpacks.)

Hell, most kids carry 20 times more than this just to visit a friend three doors down.

Sydney cat owners are advised: "you can carry your cat in a cotton pillow case". (I'd suggest the same for small children and politicians.)

While city workers should pack important items into a "grab and go" drawer. (Close your eyes and picture that, just for a moment.)

I guess our Sydney friends will be counting on improvising their survival techniques, with endlessly imaginative use of sunblock, toilet paper and cats in cotton pillow cases.

Sydney Morning Herald ....

12 comments:

  1. This is so weird - I've only caught the smallest of snippets of this on tv and have absolutely no idea what/why/whatever. I think that someone needs a nice long stay in a very padded room in a very quiet place (assuming such things exist these days).

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do the keys open?

    What does the baseball cap protect you from?

    'In case of
    a) global warming
    b) Suddenly, inexplicably being transmuted from Sydney into the middle of the desert,
    b) Sun going supernova,
    put cap on.'

    ReplyDelete
  3. I immediately thought the sunblock and cap were for use in the event of nuclear fallout Timmy, but they might be handy in the event of sudden-onset global warming or instantaneous transmutation to a desert.

    Tens of thousands of office workers, in the desert, all carrying their "Go Drawers": I can imagine that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unsuitable hats to wear in the case of nuclear armageddon (even if they do look fetching):

    http://www.max-cap.co.uk/images/ladiesBaseball/ladies-pink-baseball-cap-BIG.jpg

    http://www.smileyland.com/shop_images/Smiley_Face_%20Baseball_Caps.jpg

    http://graphics.christianbook.com/g/display/1/140345.gif

    ReplyDelete
  5. The smiley cap has won me over.

    I want my rescuers to have their spirits lifted when they clap their eyes on my melting being, to feel a spring in their step at the sight of my jaunty disposition in the face of catastrophe. I want them to know that I'm just darned happy to see them, even if I'm having trouble forming a smile, or can't actually see them.

    Err, I will be rescued, right? I didn't pack that toilet roll for no reason?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sticking with the smiley hat.

    I don't want to be mistaken for a forlorn piece of remnant landscape, bull-dozed over during the clean up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In the event of nuclear fallout, it's more than possible that the gamma-radiation will produce horrifying human-plant hybrids such as the above example.

    We may very well be looking into the face of the future.

    ReplyDelete
  8. geoff4:50 PM

    And how am I expected to fit a case of Hennessy XO, 24 jars of Tasmanian Salmon caviar, a box of Cubans, the Uzi SMG and the 20kg overweight dachshund in one bag? Even if you throw out all that other stuff? Just answer me that. Hmmmm?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Almost be worth a nuclear holocaust to see people trying to stuff cats into pillow cases all over the place.

    timt, thanks for all the hats.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you've got a superfluous 20 kilo's worth of hot dog Geoff, a lot of us will be relying on you for food. I say forget the toilet rolls, just stuff the dachshund in there any old way you can. We'll all be grateful.

    A person can only eat so many "health bars", and in the even of radiation poisoning, I'm sure we'll all be in need of a little extra protein.

    Timmy will carry the Hennessy XO, and I'll take care of the 24 jars of Tasmanian Salmon caviar. (Hot dog and caviar? A new culinary delight, I'm sure.)

    ReplyDelete