The US Department of Defense has released the top ten reasons why prisoners choose
1. The detainees at the
2. More money is spent on meals for detainees than on the
3. The Muslim call to prayer sounds five times a day. Arrows point detainees toward the holy city of
4. Detainees receive medical, dental, psychiatric, and optometric care at
5. The International Committee of the Red Cross visits detainees at the facility every few months. More than 20,000 messages between detainees and their families have been exchanged.
6. Recreation activities include basketball, volleyball, soccer, ping pong, and board games. High-top sneakers are provided.
7. Departing detainees receive a Koran, a jean jacket, a white T-shirt, a pair of blue jeans, high-top sneakers, a gym bag of toiletries, and a pillow and blanket for the flight home.
8. Entertainment includes Arabic language TV shows, including World Cup soccer games. The library has 3,500 volumes available in 13 languages — the most requested book is “Harry Potter.”
10. In 2005, Amnesty International stated that “the detention facility at
Fact number ten was intended as a shot at Amnesty for comparing the five-star
[For the folks at home: there really are much easier ways to get a dental appointment or a Harry Potter book, really there are – ed ]